Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Road to Cognitive Science

I am Justin Crandall. I came to SUNY Oswego in the fall of 2009 with an Associate’s Degree in Computer Science. However, even before receiving this Associates Degree, I knew that Computer Science was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Planning on just staying with my degree in Computer Science and possibly looking into something dealing with Psychology, I kept my eyes open to whatever looked most interesting. I randomly decided to sign up for COG 411 (Neural Networks) with David Vampola. I don't know what I would have done without taking that class. It was that class that introduced me to a new major that I never even knew existed; a major that incorporated both my knowledge of Computer Science as well as my personal interest in the field of Psychology! All I knew was that I had to find out more. I later found out that changing my major to Cognitive Science would be the perfect migration from Computer Science. Cognitive Science was something that I found was much, much more interesting to me. Ever since I changed my major I have learned to love the material I am learning! The brain intrigued me as its mechanics are still a huge mystery to the world and this was something I never really thought about before. I loved everything about the major and I never thought that I would find a fit as perfect for me as CogSci. The hardest thing about the major for me was having to start a brand new major from just about scratch and do all of the catch up work. The courses have been amazing and have solidified my interest in Cognitive Science. All in all, I could not ask for a better experience and I know that I have finally found a job that I am incredibly interested in and will love doing for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. You mentioned that you've found a job that you're interested in... do you mean the major in general, or do you know what you want to do with your degree in Cognitive Science once you graduate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the best Cognitive Science course you've taken so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of job/careers do you see becoming available to you once you complete your education in the field of cognitive science?

    ReplyDelete