Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Double majoring

As I said in my last blog, I went through a few majors before I settled on Cognitive Science. There were just too many options, and classes (mainly just calculus) that I did not think I could handle. I started Cog Sci because it seemed like a very intriguing field. After my first semester being a Cog Sci major I knew I wanted to stick with it. Because Cog Sci covers a broad area of subjects, I had my choice for electives. I looked into classes in Psychology because that had been an interest of mine in the past. I started taking a few upper division Psych classes and really liked them. I finally realized that I should consider psych as a minor. After going to the peer advisers in the psych department, I was told that it would be just as easy for me to double major. I was surprised because since I had declared my cog sci major so late I never thought double majoring would be an option. To make it even better, I would still be able to graduate on time! I think in all of the psychology classes I have taken, the professor has actually talked about cog sci at least once in the course. There is a strong link between psych and cog sci. They go together so well that it makes sense to double major in Cog Sci and Psych. I love both my majors, and hey I’ll have two degrees when I graduate! I never thought that would happen.

6 comments:

  1. Right now I'm double majoring in Psych and Cog Sci and I'm really confused because I love Cognition and Psychology but I don't know what field I should go to. I will like to know what are you planning to do after graduate school? and what type of jobs are available for students who just have a bachelor degree in Cog.Sci?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Im also contemplating on wether or not I should double major in cog sci and psych, do you have any advice for me before I make my decision?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also thinking about a double major that includes psychology, and am also making the decision a few semesters in, so i was wondering if the catch-up workload was manageable and nothing too overwhelming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been searching for a major for a while now, an I am intersested in several majors. Is a double major much more demanding than having one major? Do both majors have to relate to each other?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a fan of the psychology aspect of cognitive science, how did you feel about the computer science aspect of cognitive science?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you think about it, cognitive science could compliment any other major out there, even politics.

    Do you think a double major, or even a minor in cognitive science could enhance the career potential of someone whose primary interests are in a different area altogether?

    ReplyDelete